Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Power of Words

Ever say something and immediately wonder where the words came from or immediately regret those words falling out of your mouth? This happens to me more often than I want to admit.

Sometimes, I say something and I know it was God taking over my mouth. Speaking the truth when I want to lie, or giving someone the words they desperately need to hear at that moment in their life. But, other times I have to admit, it's not God who took control over my mouth. It's that other guy. The one who wants the absolute opposite of God.

The bible has a lot to say about words and letting God take hold of our voices.

Exodus 4:15 explains God taking over our speech in this way:

"Talk to him, and put the words in his mouth. I will be with both of you as you speak, and I will instruct you both in what to do."

I mean, I don't know about you, but to me that spoke volumes (no pun intended). It is a reminder to me that God is in control even when I think he isn't.

I have just recently started a couple different bible studies but, I am in no way a bible scholar nor am I the one to go to when trying to figure out the rules of the bible. I'll admit, I look at things that are taboo in Christianity and I wonder where they came from.

When speaking of words, one major problem my husband and I suffer from is a bad case of potty mouth. With this transformation that has been happening in my heart lately, I began to really look at the choices I was making and my problem with cursing is one that has struck a definite cord in my heart to change.

One of the things that I have noticed as a recurring theme in the bible stories was the constant need for two witnesses to be able to state something as truth. So naturally, when my husband and I were discussing what the bible has to say about cursing, we wanted to see two verses on the subject.

 Two verses, two witnesses, had to be truth.

We definitely were not surprised to see God was on our same mind wave-length and did indeed put two instances in the bible to speak against foul language.

Again.

 Two verses, two witnesses, has to be truth.

Colossions 3:8
"But now is the time to get rid of anger, rage, malicious behavior, slander, and dirty language."

Ephesians 4:29
"Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them."

God speaks twice (and I'm sure many more times) about using our voices to not bring down but, to raise up. To be encouraging, helpful, and positive instead of negative, tearing down. 

This coming week I just pray that God takes control of our voices and uses them for His purpose. Use our voices as His tool to bring people to Him and to raise people up instead of bringing them down. 

Have a blessed day!

- Jenny 

No comments:

Post a Comment